Creating a sitemap on WordPress is quite easy to do, because WordPress users are facilitated by the plugin. As an illustration, a sitemap is a list of web pages that can be accessed by users and search engines.
You must have often found a website that has a menu with the name Sitemap. The menu serves to provide instructions to users and search engines about all pages that can be accessed on the website.
Here are some of the benefits of a sitemap on a website:
- Allows pages on the website to be easily found by search engines and can be indexed faster.
- A sitemap can tell search engines about changes to the structure of a website.
- Make it easy for search engines to index websites that have many pages and are not structured or do not have internal links.
Those are just some of the benefits of a sitemap on a website and why you should make a sitemap on your WordPress website.
In this tutorial, we will directly discuss the type of sitemap, how to add a sitemap to WordPress and how to submit a WordPress sitemap url to search engines.
What do you need?
Before starting the steps in this tutorial, make sure that you:
- Have access to the WordPress admin area.
Understanding the Difference Between an XML Sitemap and an HTML Sitemap
In general, a sitemap can be categorized into two, namely an XML sitemap and an HTML sitemap. The main difference between the two is that the XML sitemap is made specifically for search engines while the HTML sitemap is for users or website users.
XML sitemap – As previously stated, this sitemap is for search engines that contain metadata along with website urls. It contains website information if there is a recent URL update on the website.
HTML sitemap – This sitemap is made for users and provides easy navigation to pages. This tells the user about the Contact page or Company Profile and so on. Although it is intended for website visitors, this sitemap can also improve search engine rankings because it adds value to the user experience on your website.
Both sitemaps make it easy for search engines to ‘crawl’ content. Therefore, we recommend that you have both at the same time, for search engines and users. This will ensure you don’t miss out on important parts related to SEO, besides increasing the user experience on your website.
A sitemap is a pretty important component of a website, especially for blogs that are new and don’t yet have many backlinks.
Here is how to create a sitemap on WordPress …
Step 1: Create an XML Sitemap on WordPress
An XML sitemap in WordPress can be created in a number of different ways. In this tutorial, you will learn how to add a sitemap by using two different plugins.
Option 1: Make an XML sitemap with Yoast SEO
Yoast SEO Plugin is one of the popular plugins that is useful for improving SEO on WordPress websites.
This plugin handles technical matters related to content and helps you in terms of installing keywords, h1 and h2 tags, the ease of articles to read and much more. In addition, this plugin can help you create an XML sitemap.
Follow the steps below to add an XML sitemap to your WordPress website using the Yoast SEO plugin.
- Install and activate the Yoast SEO plugin, for how to install the plugin please follow the following tutorial.
- After the plugin has been activated, please select the SEO> Features menu and activate the Advanced settings page.
- This feature will activate the XML sitemap for your WordPress website and the XML Sitemaps menu will appear under the SEO menu. In this section you can adjust settings such as Max entries per sitemap.
- In this way, you have successfully created an XML sitemap using plugins. You can open the sitemap URL on the Your XML Sitemap link.
Option 2: Create a SitemapXML with Google XML Sitemaps
The Google XML sitemap plugin can also be used to create an XML sitemap for your website, with the same goal of helping search engines to crawl on your website.
Using this plugin is easy enough to create an XML sitemap for search engines like Google, Bing and Yandex. This plugin creates a sitemap for all WordPress pages and custom URLs. In addition, it will automatically notify search engines if there is new content published.
The following are some steps that you need to take:
- Install and activate the Google XML Sitemaps plugin, if you don’t know how to install the plugin, please follow the following tutorial.
- After the plugin is activated, it will automatically generate a sitemap for your website.
- To check, please access the sitemap URL via the Settings menu> XML Sitemap.
Step 2: Create an HTML Sitemap for WordPress
For the plugins that we discussed above, it can help you in making an XML sitemap. Furthermore, if you want to create an HTML sitemap you can use the WP Sitemap Page plugin.
To create an html sitemap, please follow the steps below:
- Install and activate the WP Sitemap Page plugin on your website.
- Create a new page and add the following shortcode to the post [wp_sitemap_page], for more details, please see the image below:
- Please Publish and to see the changes please access the URL of the page. The result will more or less look like the following picture.
Step 3: Submit the XML sitemap to search engines
Step 3.1: Submit the XML sitemap to Google
After your website’s XML sitemap has been successfully created, we recommend submitting it to the Google search console tool. The first step to submit your sitemap is through the Google search engine console, please verify your website ownership. For the steps, please follow the steps below:
- After completing verification, please go to the Google Search Console page and select the new website that you have added.
- Click on the Crawl menu and select Sitemaps.
- Click Add / Test Sitemap.
- Enter the URL of your WordPress sitemap and click the Submit button.
- Please wait a few days, until the Google robot processes your shipment and crawls your page.
If you have a lot of images on your website, we highly recommend creating an image sitemap. You can also create a video sitemap if you have a lot of video content on your website.
Step 3.2: Submit an XML Sitemap to Bing
Bing is a non-Google search engine that you need to submit your website’s sitemap. Just like submitting to Google, you also need to verify your website first. To verify the blog to bing through the following link, make sure you have created a Microsoft account. Website verification steps to Bing, please follow the following tutorial. In the verification process, please enter your website’s XML sitemap and press the Add button.
A sitemap is the most important part of a website. A sitemap not only enhances user experience, but also helps speed up the process of indexing and search engine crawlers by robots.
We hope the steps in this tutorial can help you create a sitemap on your website and link it well to search engines.